Altair Integrates PBS Professional™ with HP Cluster Management Utility™
Delivers Unified Cluster Software Solution with Green Provisioning
SC08, AUSTIN - (Nov. 19, 2008)
– Altair (booth #933) today announced that it has integrated PBS Professional™, its industry-leading on-demand computing software environment for grid- and cluster-computing, with the HP Cluster Management Utility (CMU), an efficient and robust tool for the management of HPC clusters and compute farms. Jointly, these products deliver to customers a seamless way to completely manage high-performance computing (HPC) cluster systems.
Together PBS Professional and HP CMU offer new Green Provisioning features to help customers manage central processing unit (CPU) frequency as exposed by the Linux kernel as well as monitor running jobs. This type of capability provides organizations an automated method to manage their systems and potentially lower electricity and other operational costs.
PBS Professional provides enterprises an easy way to share and optimize heterogeneous computing resources across geographic boundaries to run HPC-related jobs. The HP CMU provides a simple graphic interface that enables management of a HPC system from one console, and allows the user to monitor cluster-wide resources, as well as manage software installations. The two solutions are complementary, and necessary for most cluster environments.
“The integration of PBS Professional and HP CMU represents another step by Altair to become more of a complete solution to customers, versus a separate component,” said Bill Nitzberg, GridWorks chief technical officer. “This solution provides a new level of control that allows customers to reduce the power costs required to run these large computing systems.”
“Customers are struggling with the management complexities of high performance computing and need automated solutions that simplify operations across clusters,” said Ed Turkel, product marketing manager, Scalable Computing and Infrastructure Organization, HP. “The robust functionality delivered by the integration of HP Cluster Management Utility with PBS Professional delivers the single view needed by customers to easily manage their cluster workload and improve overall productivity, while cutting costs.”
INTEGRATED PBS PROFESSIONAL AND CMU BENEFITS
ABOUT PBS GridWorks (Booth #933)
- Complementary, easy to deploy solutions for job scheduling and cluster management;
- Automation of the creation of user groups in CMU via PBS Professional; and
- Providing the ability to better control power costs through integrated reports of node activity and automated shut-down of idle nodes.
- SC08 demonstration information: HP Booth # 1518 on Nov. 19 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. & Nov. 20 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Altair’s PBS GridWorks is a suite of on-demand grid computing technologies that allows enterprises to maximize ROI on computing infrastructure assets. PBS GridWorks is the most widely implemented software environment for grid-, cluster- and on-demand computing worldwide. The suite’s flagship product, PBS Professional, provides a flexible, on-demand computing environment that allows enterprises to easily share diverse (heterogeneous) computing resources across geographic boundaries. To learn more, please visit www.pbsgridworks.com
Altair empowers client innovation and decision-making through technology that optimizes the analysis, management and visualization of business and engineering information. Privately held with more than 1,400 employees, Altair has offices throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia/Pacific. With a 20-year-plus track record for product design, advanced engineering software and grid computing technologies, Altair consistently delivers a competitive advantage to customers in a broad range of industries. To learn more, please visit www.altair.com